or by mail to
Friends of Sue Meredith
8 Sunview Lane
St. Louis, MO 63146
For current thoughts and
updates visit me on
Quite by accident, I made my home in what is now the 71st district. It is as if the lines were drawn around the areas where I have lived most of my life. I've been continually involved in my community throughout my life, during which I've gained experience and understanding of a variety of the issues that Missouri is now facing. I try to bring those experiences, empathy and understanding to Jefferson City as the Representative for the 71st District.
2017-2018 Committee Assignments
I'm not a newcomer to responsibility and I've never avoided tackling the volunteer jobs that others might sidestep, including:
- Leading the Missouri Children's Services Commission as Chair
- Serving on the National Council of Jewish Women's Human Trafficking Conference Committee
- Advocating for foster children as a Court Appointed Special Advocate (CASA) in St. Louis County
- Speaking on the topic of AIDS in our schools, at the National School Boards Association, before an audience of 10,000 school board members and educators as part of a four person general session presentation.
- The Women's Political Caucus (past Treasurer)
- Creve Coeur Township Democratic Club (Vice President and Secretary)
- Numerous PTA/PTO working groups and committees throughout my daughters' primary and secondary education.
- Former legislative intern for Representative Charlie Bratkowski (D-Overland)
- Though early in my education, that experience showed me that while there are many challenges facing and divisions among our elected representatives, my background and empathy makes me an effective advocate for my community as a State Representative.
- Joining my husband Michael, in many of his Missouri Master Naturalist and St. Louis Audubon Society activities.
As a parent, spouse, and daughter, I've navigated the financial and emotional challenges that Missouri families go through when battling life-changing conditions such as Alzheimer's disease. I also understand the added stress that comes with confusing and complicated insurance and healthcare policies even when dealing with more routine health issues such as preventative care, joint replacement, depression, even reassuring a child with a skinned knee.
As a mother I take great pride in my three wonderful daughters, and understand that it takes a village.
- I also sit on the Children, Families, and Persons with Disabilities Committee and have gained instant credibility due to my background. As a Court Appointed Special Advocate (CASA) volunteer for the St. Louis County Courts, I work with the Department of Children's Services as an advocate for children who have been removed from their homes due to abuse or neglect; finding solutions that are in the best interest of the child, to help them grow into productive members of society. We provide an independent voice in court for these children, working through the bureaucratic maze to help them find a safe haven.
- While my daughters were in school, I was always a hands-on volunteer in the schools as a PTA/PTO member and officer, a Girl Scout Leader and Neighborhood Chair.
- I still have one granddaughter in the Parkway Schools, attending Parkway West High School. The other granddaughter now studies at Xavier University.
Jobs and Business
I've dealt with educational issues from a multitude of perspectives:
- As an elected policy maker faced with a crisis situation
- I was elected to the Ritenour School Board in 1982 and 1985. During my second term, one of our students was diagnosed with AIDS. We responded by creating a comprehensive school policy that addressed the complex issues of student welfare, public health and the privacy of the infected student and his family. That policy that became a model for school districts throughout the country. I represented Ritenour at the National School Board Association Convention explaining our approach to this crisis.
- As a student
- Webster University
- Master's degree in Legal Studies
- Paralegal Certificate
- Bachelor's degree in Political Science
- Florissant Valley Community College (Associate Degree)
- Pattonville High School
- As a parent
- Two of my daughters graduated from Ritenour High School.
- One is a Teaching Professor in Math at Missouri University of Science and Technology (Rolla)
- One is a Senior Market Research Ananylst
- My youngest daughter graduated from Parkway North High.
- Currently an Assistant Prosecuting Attorney for Boone County
- As a grandparent
- One grandaughter graduated from Parkway West High School, now studying at Xavier University in Cincinatti
- One grandaughter currently studying at Parkway West High School
I grew up in a union home
(my father was a union bricklayer) and have always appreciated the role that unions play in our economy. I have worked in a corporate environment, a not-for-profit university, and a small business. I have an understanding of the challenges that face small businesses trying to grow and prosper. I've experienced the types of rules and regulations that protect both the consumer and the businesses first-hand, and I recognize when well-intended legislation can have the opposite effect.
- Member of the Maryland Heights Chamber of Commerce
- I served as the Executive Director of the Olivette Chamber of Commerce and helped promote small and medium-sized business.
- I've had management and supervisory responsibility in a variety of industries that are regularly affected by bills presented in the House of Representatives:
- Market Research for agricultural and veterinary clients
- Insurance and Securities
- Higher Education (coordinating the doctoral program for Webster University)